"All the heart wants is to be called again." Julia Alvarez

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pt 3 of Post Concert and Pre Trip


Nic Patterson! The fabulously beautiful and talented coordinator of the Dance Program at Middlebury. She is the QFE of the trip--Queen of the Envelopes. They hold all our receipts and money and will be organized and turned in on time! Thank goodness for Nic. She and I also work together at the Shoreham Inn, in beautiful downtown Shoreham, population 1100. So we both work crazy hours, have kids and husbands and will probably collapse on the beach on our first free day.
So as I said, we are post concert. The company was so together, mature, creative, responsive, just a real pleasure to watch. I have seen a LOT of dance in my time (said the crochety old lady) and it has NOT been all good, unfortunately, for a variety of reasons. Especially Improvisation. That can get really stuck in a series of movements, or narcissistic, myopic, noodly-ee, or just plain boring. Not with these guys. They are great observers and participants in this highly evolved process they do with Penny. I remember (said the crochety old lady) when I was in my college company and Improvisation was used as part of our warm-up before we moved on to worship at the altar of this thing that was MODERN DANCE. Everything dripped with pathos and symbolism, and probably in the process lost a lot of what it was trying to achieve. The other half of the concert this weekend was set work choreographed by Christal Brown and members of the company. I love Christal's work which has all the stuff I love--line, beauty, relationships, shape--plus new ideas, delivered just so. If it's hard to follow how I write about dance, I can only apologize. I can dissect it in the proper vernacular for you later if you like, but right now I'm gonna give you the heart of it for me. Christian and Sophie's work was really interesting and mature and crafted as well. When I have a few minutes later on (cause I gotta get packing) I will tell you what everyone said in the Q&A after the concert.
So, I do have to get packing, finish the bills and clean one last bathroom before I can head to Jenn's later tonight. Wow, I'm really going.

No comments:

Post a Comment